How do you make a plucker or which do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dracoe19, Nov 21, 2012.

1. dracoe19

dracoe19 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    I recently had to process 7 geese and boy will I tell you the plucking took hours. I am planning on raising geese and turkeys this coming spring for food and really want to buy or make a plucker to make life easier.
    I had used a plucker that was like a tub with a rotating bottom and I absolutely hated it (pictured below). It broke the birds legs, tore the skin, and pretty much mangled the bird to a point where it looked like it ate a grenade. I don't know if I did something wrong but it seemed pretty strait forward to just putting the scalded bird in the rotating bin and it would be plucked. Maybe I just had a bad experience... So what are your thoughts? Did you buy a plucker or make one yourself? How do you not tear the skin when you pluck?

Same model I used.
    [​IMG]

2. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    This thread probably would do better in the "meat etc.." forum... But if I was raising meat birds I would just rent a plucker for the weekend. Possibly your scald was not quite right?

3. dracoe19

dracoe19 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    Oh silly me I didn't see that category. Didn't know you could rent them ill look into that. I think that maybe it. Guess its not as easy as boiling water then dipping the bird lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by