How do you make cottage cheese taste good?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Poulets De Cajun, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I'm starting a three week fat loss diet that dictates I eat boiled egg whites and oatmeal for breakfast, fruit as snacks twice a day, as well as chicken breasts and steamed veggies for lunch and dinner.

In addition to the fruits for snacks, I have also thrown some fat free cottage cheese and celery to break up the monotonay of fruit.

I have never in my life eaten cottage cheese, never even so much as tasted it. But with my newfound healthy lifestyle I am making myself eat foods I haven't before. I just bought some at the store, and took a small taste when I got home.

It tastes like cheese, but how can I spice it up healthily (if thats a word)? The texture kinda got to me a bit, but I can get used to it.

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I love adding well drained pineapple chunks to mine. DH likes salt and pepper with his. My grandpa used to put jelly in his! Good job on the diet. I really should join you. [​IMG]

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I'm down to 185, my chest arms and abs are really developing, but I have those last 10 pounds of fat or so to drop before I can really see the definition. I'm tired of running miles after miles on the elliptical trainer, so i am going to do a bodybuilders type fat loss diet for a few weeks to see what happens...

... and dont worry, i checked with my trainer. Its not a crash diet, its well balances and thought out.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    MN
    Grab your nearest spice rack and go to, mix and match until you find something you like! I prefer mine plain but occasionally I'll add dill or parsley. I love cottage cheese!

5. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] you've never had cottage cheese.... [​IMG]

oh my....well I don't know if these are considered 'healthy' was to doctor up cottage cheese, but......

honey--add a little blob of honey to it
    pepper---I put pepper on mine
    lettuce, pear/peach---remember this when we were little...lettuce leaf, pear or peach 1/2 with cottage cheese in the middle where the pit would be
    blueberries--mixed with the cottage cheese--sounds gross, but i like it
    yougrt--mixed together with the cottage cheese...again sound gross but i like it

those are a few ideas...i am sure someone else will have a much healthy idea....

oh yeah...have a salad and add cottage cheese to it...lol

6. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Personally, I love it plain, but some people I know add fruit to it. I suppose this won't work if you're tired of fruit. Maybe jam? I googled "cottage cheese" and this was the second page listed.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/336491

Maybe helpful, since the discussion went on for like 98798 pages! [​IMG]

7. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    you can hollow out a tomato and put the cottage cheese inside with some drained canned tuna on top with salt and pepper.

8. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

forgot....

chives cut up and mixed into the cottage cheese...that give it some flavor...

9. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    I love cottage cheese with apple butter or peach or pear butter. Good luck losing weight![​IMG]

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    MN
    Yes, I'm quite taken back that you've never had cottage cheese. But then I've never had a chilidog. Tell you what, I'll make you some homemade cottage cheese (raw goat milk tyvm) and you make me a chilidog; sound like a deal? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by