How do you make rice flour for gluten free diet?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by dipence71, Oct 19, 2009.

1. dipence71

dipence71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Murrayville, IL
    Is it just as simple as grinding rice from the store or is it more complicated than that???

2. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    You can buy it if you need it in bulk.

I use my coffee grinder for small batches but there is still a slight grit to it.

3. equine623

equine623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    NE PA
    If you have a flour mill it is just grinding rice from the store, yes. I use the Wonder Mill, I tried many others and this one is by far the best! I grind white and brown rice, millet, quinoa and it will grind many other grains.

It is easy to use, virtually dust free and as long as you start it before putting the grain in and don't stop in mid grind it won't clog. Has varying options for how finely ground you want the flour as well.

Worth every penny! HTH

4. dipence71

dipence71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Murrayville, IL
    WOW flour mills are high....
    Would a food processor work? Or not get it fine enough? I cannot find Gluten free "flour" in my town and don't relish a hour plus drive to look somewhere else
    And shipping is a killer online.

5. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    I would ask at your local grocery store. Even if they don't carry it they can order it for you. Plus if they know there is a need they may make room [​IMG]

My store carries gluten free, it's a Fred Meyer, or some places they are Krogers. There are a few things that are ALWAYS sold out the day they come in (pancake mix). I have them order a case just for me. That way I know my daughter has some when she wants it.

I worked grocery for a lot of years, we did one or the other for customers all the time. Usually if one requested it, others were looking for it too.

Good luck,
    Michelle

6. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    See if your grocer will order some. There are a lot of gluten free products that Bob's Red Mill carries.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/

Many of them have a long shelf life, so if you're willing to order a case of this and that, your grocer might be willing to order them from their supplier without charging you shipping. It will likely come down to whether their distribution source carries the product line. If it is a major grocery chain, you can probably get them to place the special order.

My wife's celiac. We can get a lot of the Bob's products locally, but the grocer will special order for us if we want something they don't stock.

7. equine623

equine623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    NE PA
    Yes, flour mills are expensive. But the way I bake, it ended up only taking me about 3 months to get back the cost of it when I compared the price of rice flour versus the price of rice.

A food processor won't get it fine enough, and gluten free things have a tendency to be dry anyway so the last thing you want is gritty flour.

Bob's Red Mill is, IMO, expensive and it makes me leery that they sell gluten free products as well as a line of things like barley flour, whole wheat flour and even wheat gluten in a bag. Unless they have separate factories....but I don't know if they do.

But most grocery chains will stock Bob's Red Mill so maybe that would be a way to go. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by