how do you make your own chicken scratch? Recipes needed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mamaof10hens, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Mamaof10hens

Mamaof10hens Out Of The Brooder

any suggestions for recipes of scratch?
    and how much and how often do you usually throw out to them?

thanks!

2. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Good question.

3. gmzamz

gmzamz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Monticello, MN
    Ya, I was kanda wondering the same thing.

i'll google it and see what I find.[​IMG]

Wow i found..... nothing yet excpt for a likny back to this page:(

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  4. crimsnchic

crimsnchic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
  5. Jay13

Jay13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central NC
    Nice link, but I thought I read somewhere that you weren't supposed to feed chickens raw legumes/beans? The recipe included has 1 part each of split peas and lentils.... I'm confused now

6. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    My scratch mix
    100 lb. whole corn
    50 lb. wheat
    50 lb. whole oats
    50 lb. mixed bird seed (sorgum,various millets,sunflower,minimal corn)
    25 lb. black oil sunflower
    I scatter this on the coop floor first thing in morning, just enough that they will clean up in 2-3 minutes. They will keep turning over the bedding looking for the small stuff, or any that dropped in. This really helps keep the bedding loose and dry. In the winter I add another 50lb. of corn to the mix. There is a hanging feeder in each pen with laying mash, or grower in it for their main feed.

7. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i just use black sunflower seed, millet and cracked corn. I throw a couple handfulls into the run.

8. BellaBokBok

BellaBokBok Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2012
    Australia
    Currently Im just half filling a cup with cracked corn, sprinkling in a little bit of uncooked oatmeal and filling the rest with black sunflower seeds,but I'm looking to add more things to it

9. Chambertin

Chambertin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Funabashi Japan
    My Coop
    Not really using scratch anymore. I let my chickens run in the kitchen every night just after dark.
    Because of the water lines coming in from the water access shaft theres a plentiful supply of little cockroaches. My chickens go nuts when the sun goes down because its fun time!
    I think they like that much more than the corn or sunflower seed scratch they used to get.

Plus its heartily entertaining to watch the "lights on" race between the chickens and bugs.
    Only problem is the roaches seems to have put up a warning sign on our apartment, fewer and fewer every night.

The poop left on the floor is a small price to pay for almost no bugs.
    Here's a picture of the kitchen back when we tried the first time, just before sundown we open everything to encourage the bugs to move out. (not the cleanest day, but we were expecting poop so this is pre cleaning)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
    3 people like this.
  10. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    Very good recipes everyone! I have also been looking to make my own chicken scratch. Very helpful :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by