How do you mark chickens

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RachaelS, Mar 30, 2011.

1. RachaelS

RachaelS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I want to keep track of what chicken was born from what eggs, but how do I mark the chickens?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm not sure if you mean in the incubator or after they are hatched. If in the incubator, the only way I know of to tell which chick came from which egg is to build a small wire cage and put one over each egg. Put a tag of some mark on each cage.

If you are talking about after the incubator or broody hatch, there are several ways. Toe punch, wing bands, colored zip ties around the legs, maybe those colored plastic spiral bands. You can use food coloring but that can wear off pretty fast since they grow so fast. I've even heard of using nail polish on the toes.

3. RachaelS

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Yep, I mean after they hatch [​IMG] Nail polish won't hurt them?

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I've never tried it, but does it hurt your fingernails or toenails when you put it on? I would not use red since they like to peck that color, but other colors should work well. I'm not sure how fast it would wear off.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Temporary legbands (such as plastic ones or zipties) marking them with different colored markers, stuff like that can work.

6. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    I use different colored zip ties. I get the color variety pack (4 colors) and can mark them by pink on right leg, pink on left leg etc. That gives me 8 variations. If I need more then I use 2 zip ties, so pink on right leg & blue on left leg, or pink and blue on right leg etc. That gives me unending variations. I might set one breed as blue on right leg, and then use zips on the other leg to mark individuals.

7. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    My daughter had different colors of nail polish on her toe nails last summer and the chickens pecked her feet every time she went in the chicken area so I told her to quit wearing nail polish or wear some different shoes. She had bright green and pink fuschia nail polish mostly. She spent the night at her aunts house and a girl that is no relation spent the night also and they painted each others toe nails so if you go with toe nail polish don't use a bright color.

8. RachaelS

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Okay, will go with the nail polish idea until I can go get zip ties, which might be good anyway since they have little legs when born. Thanks for all the great ideas! [​IMG]

9. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    thanks for asking that. i was wondering too. i may try the nail polish.

10. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Quote:Ridgerunner, there are going to a gazillion chickens with painted toenails and it's gonna be all your fault. [​IMG]

At least no one mentioned lipstick. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by