How do you mark your chicks??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by danihen, Mar 20, 2013.

1. danihen

danihen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2013
    H all just wondering what you do to tell different batches apart, in my incubator I have 3 lots of lavender pekin eggs from different sources and want to be able to mark them as they hatch, I know I'll miss some but hope to get a few!! Any ideas would be great. Many thanks dani

2. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    So I take it these are eggs, right? I use pencils for my eggs. Some people use markers, but I would use a pencil! Hope this helps and feel free to pm me is you have questions! :)

3. danihen

Mar 16, 2013
    Sorry didn't explain myself very well, all the egg batches are marked, its the chicks I really want to identify as they will be in the same brooder etc after they hatch. Sorry for not explaining very well

4. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    oh.....!!! Ok, well for that I buy chicken leg bands. U cam but them with numbers or differebnt colors to identify. I have bought mine online and in feed stores. Most are safe for chicks. You'll just wanna read the package!

5. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Btw...... :welcome:

6. danihen

Mar 16, 2013
    Thanks for the welcome! Just been reading millions of threads!! Never need a book again!! Have seen bands but frightened I'll hurt them, had heard of colouring toes in with permanent marker????

7. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    you are very welcome! :)

Yes, I have heard you can hurt them too, but I have never. I usually do not use them on my babies, just adults. I have also used permanent marker for my big ones too! I have just never needed to tell between my chicks before, so I dont know what is bad for them or not. Big chickens are so much more hearty than babies! I would say try the marker. It ie

8. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Sorry!

As I was saying, you always have a marker on hand!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by