How do you memorialize a lost loved feathered friend?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mrskenmore, Apr 17, 2017.

1. mrskenmore

mrskenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2014
    My husband and I lost our valiant flock leader this weekend Jolene to a reproductive sickness. She was a soon to be 3 year old Black Sex Link Hen. We buried her deep in the ground next to the coop so she will always be with her sisters with a beautiful slate stone to mark where she is. The bright and cheery daffodils bring a smile to my face knowing she is close and at peace. I wanted to know if anyone memorializes their feathered friends that they have lost along the way. A way to thank them for their happiness and smiles they bring along with the eggs, companionship and laughter. I was thinking of something with her feathers, or even simply hanging a photo of her in the coop so she can continue to look over the flock even as we continue to add new members to the flock over the years.

Sometimes a death can be debilitating and sad, but I like to think the stories, photos, videos and memories are what make us able to one day smile again as we remember these remarkable animals that once graced our lives no matter how short the time was.

So let's hear your suggestions!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. Jiffyrocks

Jiffyrocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2017
    Louisville KY
    I'm sorry for your loss.

New to chickens, and an animal lover all around, I don't want that day to come.

I think the idea of her picture in the coop is a great idea.
    Also with one of her pretty feathers in the frame, or made into a necklace or earrings.

My favorite chicken has really nice feathers too and I've been collecting them since the beginning. I'm hoping to learn how to make earrings and then make one pair per chicken (I only have 6).

3. Jiffyrocks

Jan 15, 2017
    Louisville KY
    Also there is someone on here that makes little felt chickens matching a picture of your chicken. That might be nice to have on a mantle in front of her pic maybe :)

4. mrskenmore

mrskenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2014
    Thanks so much-

I never ever ever ever wanted this day to come I knew it would eventually one day though- she was my very first chicken the feed store put in the box and my very first chicken to go on to the big chicken coop in the sky. I have cried more in the past few weeks then when loved ones have died. I wanted her to know how much we loved her as well as how little we wanted to see her suffer. In the end she went peacefully in the nest box with her bestie close by in the adjoining nest box. I don't think we are ever ready to say good bye, but I was happy that she went on a beautiful spring day when both my husband and I were home and her sisters were with her and present.

I think you should totally make jewelry! I started doing that with some of her feathers from a previous molt and have awesome earrings from two of her beautiful feathers. I found the supplies at Michael's craft store and took inspiration from Etsy. Here is a necklace I made with one of her tail feathers that she molted out in the fall.

[​IMG]

5. Jiffyrocks

Jan 15, 2017
    Louisville KY
    That's so cute!
    Ya I'll definitely have to look into how to do that :)

6. PoultryAddict 1

PoultryAddict 1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    My blue was killed by a hawk a few months ago,
    we took her to the vet and she was in such bad shape she needed to be put on oxygen and force fed antibiotics, her throat was damaged and she started to pant heavily, but I thought she would make it.
    I was wrong.
    The next morning I found her belly up with her beautiful feathered feet straight up in the air, it looked like a sick joke, of all the chickens I have lost they were never like that, and she wasn't just another chicken to me, she was special. Of the 50 or so chickens and other poultry I had raised over the coarse of my life, she was my favorite. In fact, I would trade all my chickens and ducks and quail that I have now just to get blue back. But anyways I was so sickened by her belly up state I quickly got a plastic bag and drove to a beautiful stream by my house, where I dropped her and she drifted away. It was so sad, and by the time I got home I completly forgot about the metal band on her leg I bought her with. Sadly, I did not have the forethought to grab it. So I went to the site of the hawk attack and took the biggest feather I could find, a nice gray one ripped out by vicious talons. So that's how I'll rember my blue, her feather.
    wow this post is more emotional and long than I meant it to be.) [​IMG]

7. Jiffyrocks

Jan 15, 2017
    Louisville KY
    I'm sorry about Blue :(

8. PoultryAddict 1

PoultryAddict 1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    yeah it sucked.

9. Minnowey

Minnowey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    I'm so sorry to hear about Blue, as well as Jolene. It's always sad to have them go. I'm weathered now, stopped crying for them a long time ago. But all of us who have lost a special friend know how it is, it is losing a family member. Never good. I have always just burned or buried mine, but I think the pic on the wall is a great idea. In any case, my condolences to both of you.

10. Lillypads

Lillypads New Egg

Aug 17, 2016
    Petaluma CA
    I'm so sorry for everyones loss. When a chicken in my flock dies I have one of their feathers made into a necklace. I had a silkie growing up that my step dad gave me. He apparently found him in the local dump yard. He was the sweetest rooster I ever met. I use to walk down town with him in my jacket all the time, people thought it was pretty comical when he'd pop his head out of my jacket to look around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by