1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Do You Naturally Breed Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Asakine, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Asakine

Asakine New Egg

Oct 27, 2013
    Near Pennybont
    I have no Idea how to run an incubator, nor would I have the patience to try [​IMG]

So I'm getting some ducklings this Spring, Rouen to be exact, One Drake and Three Ducks. You see, the problem is that my space is big enough for more, and I want them to build their own little flock.

So Duck experts, could you help me figure out how to encourage "Broodiness" or do I just wait until Spring and let them run their own little course? [​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/743710/old-fashioned-broody-thread-for-ducks-2013-edition

This may help you.

I found with my group of nine runners and three buffs (the ducks - our drake, Bean, is not in on this), we have three or four broodies, depending on the year.

The four generally are Sechs, Elf, Fünf and Romy. The first three are runners, Romy is a buff.

Leaving a few eggs in the nest for a few days in the late spring and summer is the way I discovered they would go broody. It started when I put wooden eggs in the nest to encourage laying.

That is about what I know, as I don't let them sit on fertile eggs, I don't want to have to deal with too many drakes, or the heartaches that can come when things don't go well.

I may give it a go some time, I have just not been ready for it.

3. Asakine

Asakine New Egg

Oct 27, 2013
    Near Pennybont
    Thanks! I can't wait to start my own little flock!

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by