How do you or where do you place the pc fan in lg still air bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by petunias212, Mar 26, 2011.

1. petunias212

petunias212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    i've put together a pc fan that is working great but don't know how to or where to put it in my lg still air incubator. can someone direct me. i tried searching on here but haven't been successful. appreciate your help.

and from the pictures i posted below, which side should face down on the eggs?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    The fan sold for it goes in the top center of lid.

3. txhomegrown

txhomegrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Como, TX
    Be sure you put a spacer between the fan and the top so air can be pulled through. The factory one blows the air down towards the eggs if that helps.

4. petunias212

Jan 12, 2011
    i'm sorry if this is a really dumb question...but what's a spacer?

Quote:

5. txhomegrown

txhomegrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Como, TX
    It is something that is used to raise the base of the fan off of the surface that you are mounting it to. This allows air to be sucked through the fan for greater air flow. If it is mounted flat to the mounting surface, no air can get behind it and it can overheat the fan too. I used a couple of pieces of stiff foam and just cut a couple of little pieces about 3/8 inch thick and put the screws through it when I mounted the fan. I wish I could explain it better. Or better yet, show a pic. But my camera crapped out on me.

6. petunias212

Jan 12, 2011
    got it! thank you so much for all the detail...sure appreciate it!

Quote:

7. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    my spacer was 3 bread ties to 2 corners! It works great!!

All I did was take 3 bread ties and twisted them together and then I threaded them through the holes (diagnal corners, only 2) and then took a really skinny screwdriver and made 2 holes through the top of the bator on those corners using the fan corners as a guide and I pushed one end of the twist tie up into the first hole and down through the 2nd hole and then met the other end of the tie at the fan. ***WARNING*** don't pull the twist tie tight, it will rip through the styrofaom.

HTH [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by