How do you pick up your chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChestnutRidge, May 8, 2011.

1. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    I'm pretty sure I'm picking up my chicks in the wrong way. How do you pick up your chicks?

Thanks!

2. macadam8157

macadam8157 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    NC, Raleigh
    haha what makes you think that??? When mine were little I'd just let them stand in my hand and cup them so they can't jump out. But now that they are bigger I put there legs in between my fingers and let them dangle and a hand on there wings. I also only pick them up when inspecting them or moving them.

3. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

With two hands. one hand goes under, holding belly & feet, the other gently holds the wings.

4. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Ours are now 6wks - and over 1#, so they're bodies are getting more than my one hand can grasp!

I try to 'scoop' them up using my right (dominate) hand then their feet go between my fingers and my palm holds their chest in my left hand. Right hand then slides up to hold wings and then I can 'cuddle' them against my body so they don't go flying out. Yes, mine are now fledged and willingly fly across the run to get at a tasty treat!

I imagine as they get bigger, when I cuddle them against my body, they'll get closer and closer to my elbow - need to remember to have a jacket or long sleeves on when this happens. Mine are very attracted to moles on skin! Ouch! (Maybe they won't notice when I'm more tan?!)

Hope this helps!

5. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    My 4-week-old slw makes it easy. I say, "Come to papa. Elevator's going up." Then she hops on my hand and lets me pull her out of the brooder.
    It ticks my wife off. [​IMG]

DH

6. ChestnutRidge

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Thanks everyone! I had felt bad to leave their little feet wiggling, but it seems that now that they are a bit bigger (2+weeks), that's probably the only way to to it. Also, I had had difficulty "catching" them when they were trying to hide in a corner, but I'll try the scooping method!

[​IMG]

7. ChestnutRidge

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    ginger c. :

My 4-week-old slw makes it easy. I say, "Come to papa. Elevator's going up." Then she hops on my hand and lets me pull her out of the brooder.
    DH

That's amazing. I'm totally jealous! [​IMG]

8. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

Life is Good! :

I try to 'scoop' them up using my right (dominate) hand then their feet go between my fingers and my palm holds their chest in my left hand. Right hand then slides up to hold wings and then I can 'cuddle' them against my body so they don't go flying out. Yes, mine are now fledged and willingly fly across the run to get at a tasty treat!
    !

I do the same. mine are still handfuls so ring and middle fingers goes between the legs, index and pinky help hold the legs still and thumb goes over a wing. They usually only protest when it's time for them to go back in the brooder after running around the kitchen. My EE will also perch on my hand for a chick elevator even though she's fully capable of flight now.​

9. TheHalfWayCoop

TheHalfWayCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Campbellville Ontario
    ginger c. :

DH

That is awesome, and hilarous [​IMG] Love it!!! I see now I've been picking my chicks up wrong, so glad someone else asked, no we'll practice the 'dangle' method!

Jenn​

10. andrew6d9

andrew6d9 Chillin' With My Peeps

ginger c. :

DH

that is so interesting and cool.
    what type of chicks do you have?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by