How do you pick your chick's?

MVchickens

Songster
10 Years
Dec 8, 2010
Martha's Vineyard MA
Here is my problem. I have 50 6 week old's in the coop now. coop is only good for about 20 adult birds. I am going to sell the rest but how do I decide which to keep at this age? I have 25 brown egg layers and 25 rainbow layers from Mcmurray. Any suggestions?

It depends on your own criteria. You may have a couple of roos in your mix. Do you want them? How about the ratio of brown egg layers to white or green? Do you want a wide variety of feather colors or doesn't that matter? Do you want friendly birds or the ones that will likely lay the best?
One way that I have culled adult chickens was that I kept the ones I could catch easily. I wanted friendly birds.
Dale-Ann

Build a second, bigger coop
lol.png

I am having much the same problem. I received 20 sex links some of whom are boys. I thought I would just choose which I wanted as they grew up because they would start getting hormonal and maybe aggressive as they grew up. I am finding that they are so sweet I am going to have a hard time deciding who goes and who stays. It's scary how addictive they are.

I am going with less flighty..the calmest ones and the healthiest seeming ones..I have already have a sale pending for some of the leghorns.

Back
Top Bottom