1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you pick your chick's?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MVchickens, May 10, 2011.

1. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    Here is my problem. I have 50 6 week old's in the coop now. coop is only good for about 20 adult birds. I am going to sell the rest but how do I decide which to keep at this age? I have 25 brown egg layers and 25 rainbow layers from Mcmurray. Any suggestions?

2. DAFox

DAFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    SW MO in Vernon Co
    It depends on your own criteria. You may have a couple of roos in your mix. Do you want them? How about the ratio of brown egg layers to white or green? Do you want a wide variety of feather colors or doesn't that matter? Do you want friendly birds or the ones that will likely lay the best?
    One way that I have culled adult chickens was that I kept the ones I could catch easily. I wanted friendly birds.
    Dale-Ann

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Build a second, bigger coop [​IMG]

4. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I am having much the same problem. I received 20 sex links some of whom are boys. I thought I would just choose which I wanted as they grew up because they would start getting hormonal and maybe aggressive as they grew up. I am finding that they are so sweet I am going to have a hard time deciding who goes and who stays. It's scary how addictive they are.

5. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    I am going with less flighty..the calmest ones and the healthiest seeming ones..I have already have a sale pending for some of the leghorns.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by