How do you prep your chickens for winter?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mckaylaspandas, Sep 11, 2016.

1. mckaylaspandas

mckaylaspandas New Egg

Sep 11, 2016
    I have silkies and a fair size coop, we are currently using straw till I find something more suitable, I live in ontario canada so it gets painfully cold. What's the best alternatives for silkies as they aren't winter hardy ?[​IMG]

Coop is still on its working way lol

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Pleased you joined us! Great link by CTKen. Good luck to you!

4. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC! Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

5. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens Mkaylaspandas!! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here and everybody that goes nuts over chickens (me being one of them....) Have fun! And ask questions!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may want to post on "Canadians, check-in here ," to ask their advice. Silkies are neither heat nor cold hardy. You would need a draft free coop with sufficient ventilation high up above the birds to allow moisture to escape. If birds will be spending extended time in the coop during inclement weather - you will need a larger coop . Overcrowded, bored birds tend to act out by fighting, feather plucking, bullying (away from feed & water) and at severe extremes cannibalism.

You could stack bales of hay around the perimeter of your run, so block the wind, a run cover can offer some protection from the elements and shade in summer. Your birds may very well venture outside for brief periods if some area of the run is shoveled for them. Some silkies will go out in cold, some will not.

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

I just make sure they have lots of dry, covered areas and wind breaks. Seems to suit my Silkies just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by