How do you prepare a duck for showing?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tplummer, Nov 8, 2009.

1. tplummer

tplummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    What things need to be done to get a call duck ready for show? Also, what medicines can be given to them ahead of time to make sure they do not catch any sicknesses?

2. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    Most people put one or two into a medium sized tote covered with wire filled with water every day once or twice depends on how bad they are ! Add wheat germ oil to there feed every other day! Ducks can't really catch many diseases like a chicken there is only few disease that ducks and geese can catch, not saying it's possible but the main thing you run into is the respratory infection in the nose ( runny or boogered up nostrils) but this will be taken care of within a few days from conditioning your birds they will pull and push water through there nostrils like there sneezing in the water that usually the only thing that is the most common! You can also use a large kiddy pool and fill it a little under half full and condition 5 to 6 ducks at a time as long as there not wild wild then if one gets out you chasing it everywhere but mine generally stay in and if they do get out they stay right there till I pick them up and put them back! On calls alot f the big time exhibitors practice cage training I would look it up on google same for chickens as ducks and if your willig to give it a try it calms your ducks during the show and makes them look the 100% best!

3. tplummer

tplummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    Thanks so much for the information. I will give it a try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by