How do you pronounce Cochin?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jenichick, Oct 26, 2007.

1. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    Is it like coachin or coeshin or cot-chin? I've been calling them like I read it which to me is cot chin. My DH's friends said no it like coach shin, like coe shin.

Can someone please clarify. My Cochin's started laying yesterday by the way. Hee hee.

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    It's co chin. What kinds do you have?[​IMG]

3. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    I was told it was co-shin....before that I was saying "cock-hin" :-S Oops.

4. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    Ok now I know (I probably sounded like a dork for the last 6 months calling them cot chin's hee hee).

I have two buff cochins right now, but I have a feather legged bantam assortment coming Tuesday that is supposed to have bantam cochins in it. Not sure what color or how many.

EDITED TO ADD: I love surprises.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  5. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I have been pronouncing it co-shin. Hey what about Isa Brown? I have been saying Iza Brown and have been told it is pronounced Eye-sa Brown. Which is the correct saying for that?

6. debashan

debashan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Oquawka, IL
    I'd say, sounds like "coach hin" I have 3 standard partridge pullets and 2 roos, the roos are very pretty and the pullets lay daily, jump in, lay and get down, unlike the salmons that make an all day affair and very dramatic about it. The cochins also seem to be laying the biggest eggs of the bunch. Love emm!

7. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

ISA is short for the company that developed the cross so it's not pronounced, it's said out as letters.

I just say co-chin.

8. Jemjoop

Jemjoop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2007
    Caledonia, IL
    jenichick I was just wondering that!

I said co-chin to somebody today and then wondered if I pronounced that correctly. I was trying to find out if its only cochins that are frizzled or if you can get another type of frizzle. They hadn't heard of frizzles. Or is it frizzels? lol

9. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    I believe that Cochins constitute the majority of frizzles, although it's just a gene that encodes for the frizzle, so you can have frizzle RIRs, frizzle ducks, etc...just like you could have a "silkie" cochin, silkie duck, etc.

10. SloCrevs

SloCrevs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Central Coast, CA
    The only 2 "Frizzle" Breeds recognized by the APA are the Frizzle Cochin and the Frizzle Polish. It's possible to have others, but these are the "official" breeds(Only for chickens; ducks, geese, etc are different). And yeah, it's co-chin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by