1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you pronounce....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wannabe_goatmom, Sep 20, 2009.

1. wannabe_goatmom

wannabe_goatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    Buff Orpington? I am new to chickens and would hate to be talking to an experienced chicken person and pronounce it wrong. I see a lot of people spelling it buff orph, does that mean it is pronounced orphington and not orpington?
    Also how about Cochin?
    I know Leghorn is leggern I saw that on another site.
    Also I hope I posted in the right section I wasn't sure on this one. [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There is no "H" in Orpington. It's pretty much like it's spelled:

Or- ping- tun with the emphasis on the Orp part.

(wonder how the 'h' got started? That would make it Or-fing-ton, which it isn't)

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yep OR-ping-ton

And CO-chin---'co' as in David Allen Coe and 'chin' as in the thing on the bottom of your face [​IMG]

4. wannabe_goatmom

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    Thank you, I keep seeing it spelled with an H in different threads and wondered if I was pronouncing it wrong or if they were just spelling it wrong.
    Now I won't wonder if I'm saying it right when I'm talking to people. [​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Most people will still think you are saying it wrong, they don't know how to talk around here. [​IMG]

The only difference is that YOU know you are saying it right [​IMG] I had a guy try telling me at the auction that his 'spangled' birds were not OEGB...Um, yes they are, what else could they be? Needless to say, I thanked him for his time, and walked away. If he doesn't even know what kind of bird he is selling, I don't want to deal with him [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i think if ONE more person 'corrects' me calling here to buy 'ORPHINGTONS' i am gonna freak out. when i say Orpington, they will say Orphington over and over in the sentence/paragraph as if i'm wrong. [​IMG]

look at the word orphington. it doesn't EVEN look like a word. seriously, folks. really. look at it....

my husband teases me and calls them little Orphington Annies.(he KNOWS the Orphington thing makes me PSYCHOOOOO.

'oh, are the orphingtons okay? do they have food? are they homeless tonight? poor, poor orphingtons.'
    he's sassy. sassy, sassy, sassy!!!! [​IMG]

7. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    well, now that you've started, how about Marans, d'uccle

8. wannabe_goatmom

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    Thanks Shelly for the Co "chin" explanation. I am really wanting to get some, they are sooooo cute and I have room in my coop for a few more birds. [​IMG]

Miss_jayne your husband sounds hillarious. My name is Billie Jo and so of course I'm always getting Betty Jo, Bobby Jo, Betty Jean, Billie Jean and lots of others and my dh thinks it is funny. He goes along with people when they say it! He knows it drives me crazy.

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Main Entry: Or·ping·ton
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Orpington, England

Main Entry: Co·chin
    Etymology: Cochin China, part of French Indochina

Main Entry: leg·horn