How do you properly sex Sultans?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by StrawberryHouseMouse, May 9, 2009.

1. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    This is the first time Ive ever had sultans, I got a batch of chicks in the mail today and some of my sultans are pure white while about half of the other chicks are not. Is this normal? Are they sexlinked?

Here is a photo below. You can see I also have silver laced polish. But I can tell the difference between them and the sultans as the sultans are feather legged and the polish are not. Yet some of the sultans as you can see have greyish chipmunk marks and patches of grey on the head and wings. While others are solid yellow/white.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry about the lighting. The brooder light is red.

2. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Sneaked back in later today and took some better pictures of them XD
    Have some photos with the Silver Laced Polish in there as well. The sultans that Im questioning have a smokey look to them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  3. loopipi

loopipi Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    Forest Lake
    Hi,
    I don't know why ... I bought a Sultan from the feed store. We named him/her Tweety.. the sweetest thing. I think she is two weeks old.. has lots of wing and tail feathers. Still light grey on the back but, all primary feathers are coming in white... She/He is my favorite.. I am praying a girl... Good luck. Will follow your posts to see your birds. They look fantastic! Sorry I had no answers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by