How Do You Quiet A Lonly Chick??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickie Mamma, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, unfortunately only one silkie chick hatched yesterday. I put a small stuffed animal with it and it is sooo cute how it sleeps on it. It has not stopped peeping for hours now and its making me crazy. It can't be too cold, maybe to warm? It has food and water etc. Has anyone tried something other than the stuffed animal to calm it down?? Thanks..

2. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:The Silkie named "The Precious" had a sweater to cuddle up in, seemed to work for it. I wonder if music would help? Do you have a radio you could play some tunes on?
    That peeping will make you INSANE... good luck!
    christina

3. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:The Silkie named "The Precious" had a sweater to cuddle up in, seemed to work for it. I wonder if music would help? Do you have a radio you could play some tunes on?
    That peeping will make you INSANE... good luck!
    christina

I'll put a small sweater that my girls outgrown in there and we will see if that works. I didn't mind it for a while, but... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I have read that a lonley chick is a noisy chick, but WOW!! I'll look for a small radio too. ANYTHING to get it to stop [​IMG] Thanks for the tip.. I appreciate it!

4. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

sounds like a reason to buy more chicks....[​IMG]

Seriously, I only had one hatch...Thank goodness oldtimegator sold me several of hers. Now, they are happy as clams.... only happy peeping now.

5. ebhoneybees

ebhoneybees Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2008
    try an old ticking clock. it worked with my duck.

6. sis

sis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    PA
    Where do you live? I live in south central PA, I have some Silkies 7 weeks old, I would be happy to give you one.
    My first hatch was one Silkie, I bought some 3 day old baby quail to keep it quiet, my next hatch was 7 days later, 11 silkie and frizzles.
    the quail went to my neighbor who wanted to raise quail.
    Everyone was happy.

7. chicktwit

chicktwit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    An old clock that ticks wrapped in something snuggly works for lonely pups. I bet it will work for a lonely chick. Good Luck! [​IMG]

8. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I had a lone chick hatch out on friday. I am lucky it seems very content. I put 2 small stuffed animals in the box and keep the tv on in the room with her (hoping anyways). My daughter did hold it most of the day while she and a friend watched tv in that room, so it might just be happy to finally be alone.

9. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:Thanks so much for the offer, but I am in CT.. I have more in the bator, not due until the 24th. I have some ducklings due in a few days. If I were to go out to the coop to get the 14 week old Phoenix I have, do you think the Phoenix would hurt it??

10. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:I will look for the clock too!! Thanks for the idea!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by