How do you raise humidity in lockdown? Can't get mine high enough

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by n8ivetxn, Sep 26, 2016.

1. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Ok, lockdown officially started at 1am today. Yesterday evening I started cramming containers of water in the bator. I literally have no floor space left for another water well, the eggs are crammed up together and I can't get my humidity much above 60%.

Any ideas on what I can do to get it a little higher? Shooting for 65 - 70%....

Each well had warm water in it when I put it in the bator and when I refill them, I'm adding warm water to try and help boost it up.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Sponges are great for getting the humidity higher. The more surface area of water you have the higher it should it go. Depth of water does not really play a factor it's the surface area.
    What kind of bator are you using?

3. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I'm using a home made container bator.... I have a cake pan in there, along with 4 glasses of water and another small dish! I don't know, but I wonder if I have too much ventilation? I really don't think so, but....?

I'll add some sponges!

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That's what I use.

5. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Lockdown - exciting and stressful at the same time! [​IMG] Sponges work great for my hatches, too. Also, you could try using something that will wick moisture, like a paper towel or clean piece of cloth touching a water source, or just leave it wet in there (where hatchlings/rolled eggs can't get into it - you probably have already considered this, too, but the hatchlings can't get into the water sources, right?) and it will help increase the humidity.

The eggs need adequate air during hatch, but obviously too much will make maintaining the humidity problematic. What's your ventilation setup like?

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

How long are you leaving the bator closed before you add more water? Do you think you are giving it enough time to build the humidity up?
    As said above kitchen towel is also good, if I'm using my nasty Chinese incubator I cover the base in kitchen towel then using a syringe and tubing I add the water to the towel through one of the vent holes in the base. You can do this with sponges too, the sponges will absorb the water.

:frow

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG]

8. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Ok, I'll give the sponges a little more time, and then see if I need to add a wicking towel.... My ventilation consists of 8 drilled holes, one top & bottom on each side, they are 3/16" each. I was afraid I didn't have enough....

9. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I have a 2" funnel w/aquarium tubing, I try to use that instead of opening constantly. - Oh wow! I cover the base of mine too! I just wrap a towel around 3 sides..... I did have 2 water bottles in there for heat sinks, but removed them to add the water wells.

Thanks to everybody for the recommendations!

10. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Most of your styro bators have two basic vent holes. There are very small holes that are in the top, but the main vents with the vent plugs, are only two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by