1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you raise Muscovies?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by C&Rman, Jul 9, 2011.

1. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    I may be able to get my hands on a breeding trio of Muscovies! How would I raise them? How many sqft per bird? Also don't they go broody allot?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have muscovies and they are wonderful. yes they go broody alot. they make great mothers too. they can eat what chickens eat if you can't get waterfowl feed. i feed Purina Flock raiser, mine free range and have a stock tank to swim and bathe in, they like it for mating to but isn't necessary. They do like to play in the mud so if you have a beautiful landscaped yard then they probably aren't for you. Mine live in a secure duck/chicken house at night locked in. the ducks have individual stalls with a top made of hardware cloth so they can't get out and get into trouble. { I have 2 drakes so have to keep them apart.}With 6 girls and 3 in each stall. Don't know the demensions though. they have to have some kind of buckett or something deep enough to be able to wash their nostrils out with and they will make the cleanest water filthy in a matter of minutes. But I love em. I also have Muscovy duckling that is a house duck, mama rejected her when she hatched so we are raising her in the house. What an experience [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by