How do you rehome a 16 week old Dominique rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lorain's fids, Oct 13, 2011.

1. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Out of my 6 chickens one of them-"Charolette" has turned out to be a Charles. He crowed the other day. He is a sweet 16 week old Dominique. I have to find him a new home. I don't know anybody that lives on a farm, and I wouldn't put him on Craigs list,( I'd be scared that they would use him in cock fights) Does anybody have any suggestions where I should look to find him a new home, or who to call. I really have no clue on what to do, and I am very sad about having to give him up.[​IMG]

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    You could list him here on BYC! Or if that doesn't work, craigslist actually might work pretty well. Put him up with a good pic, ask $5 for him or 'free to a good home'.

Do you care if someone will use him for dinner? It's not my preference, obviously, but that's more likely than him being used for fighting. If you really really want him to have a non food, non fighting home, then put him here or on CL with a good picture, list all his good attributes and screen potential adopters. Offer to deliver him so you can see where he'll go.

Another option, which I realize is less desirable but leads to better rehoming IMO, is to offer him in a pair with a hen. You could also ask at your local feed store.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:Good advice.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    lorain's fids :

Out of my 6 chickens one of them-"Charolette" has turned out to be a Charles. He crowed the other day. He is a sweet 16 week old Dominique. I have to find him a new home. I don't know anybody that lives on a farm, and I wouldn't put him on Craigs list,( I'd be scared that they would use him in cock fights) Does anybody have any suggestions where I should look to find him a new home, or who to call. I really have no clue on what to do, and I am very sad about having to give him up.[​IMG]

Use for cockfighting unlikely. Specific breeds used for that purpose.​

5. cassidy22

cassidy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Front Range - Colorado
    I take a lot of roosters from Craigslist. I breed, usually mutts, but if someone has a straight run roo of a breed of layer I have, I'll take him so I can breed with him. I like having a few roos around, and I give them good homes. So just ask, and you can always say you will bring the roo over so you can see where he will live. You will know right away if something is amiss. People pull in my driveway and see turkeys and chickens free ranging, and I think they know I am not fighting roos. I'm just addicted to chickens! Craigslist can work.

6. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Wish I were closer, I love Dominiques, especially roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by