1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you remove the lice nits?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 4Hchickymomma, Jan 31, 2017.

1. 4Hchickymomma

4Hchickymomma Just Hatched

Oct 11, 2016
    We have two silkies for my childs 4-H project, and when we got home with them, they were covered in lice. (We will forever be checking any new birds we get). I have treated with Permethrin 10,and we are not finding any live lice at all, but we have to get all of the nits off or they will be D/Q from showing. What is the best method to remove the nits? The birds are Silkies if that makes a difference.

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Rub the nits in coconut oil and clip them off.If that doesn't work you will need to wait til the eggs hatch then use the duster.

3. 4Hchickymomma

4Hchickymomma Just Hatched

Oct 11, 2016
    So, once they hatch, the hard part of the nit will go away or will there still be something to remove?

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    The nit is the eggs once they hatch there will be nothing there.But dust them as soon as they hatch so they don't make more eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by