How do you represent yourself?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wolfwoman, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    So if you're going out in public you usually comb your hair, brush your teeth and try and look somewhat decent (if you're headed out for something you forgot while building something.. this doesn't apply!! lol). At least that is what I've found for most adults that have been around for a bit. (this also doesn't apply to kids that wear falling off their butts pants). You want to make a good impression on other people by representing yourself properly in most cases.

So why is the internet so different?

Are there really SO many people out there that can't spell, or punctuate or carry on a legible conversation? I realize that there are some people out there with learning disorders (I know more than a few!) and I always take that into account that THEY are at least trying their very best!! The rest of the people out there, what's their excuse?

And I'm not just talking here on BYC, but everywhere. So often I'll see the title of a thread that peaks my interest only to find that I am, oftentimes, unable to understand what the OP is trying to get across due to lack of punctuation, horrible spelling, run on sentences and many other grammar mistakes.

I am far from perfect when it comes to these things, but I do strive to represent myself in the best way possible when it comes to the written language. There may be those that don't LIKE what I say, but at least they can understand it.

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    jes anoder tread spoutin 'bout bad grammar n punc'tuaion n stuff [​IMG]

Ok all that aside, Wolf, you have to realize BYC is international, we have folks spanning almost all continents here (exception is Antarctica as far as I know) so English is NOT the 1st language for many folks here. Of course this site was an American originated site, and the majority of us speak english, but I think that proper English, punctuation and spelling is not so much as important as getting your ideas across.

Like the run on sentence? I did, took me a bit to figure out how to do that [​IMG]

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    sometimes it is obvious the user is using a translations tools like google translator and it is clear the translation is not coming across so well poor as in unlucky not without money people who use their phones in 3rd world countries where computers are rarer than landlines but everyone has fancy-butt phones because the stupid things are actually produced in their home towns so they are logging in on a phone and basically texting rather than getting in on a computer and writing out a real question.

I am done teasing you now, WW. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  4. Wolfwoman

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    LMAO!! I DID like that one, and even understood it!! [​IMG]

I hadn't seen another thread about this yet... so sorry! Not something that I was searching for...lol

I said NOT just BYC, but many sites are like that. And it's all fine and dandy to get the point across, but sometimes it's NOT getting across, that's the problem, and therein lies a lot of arguments that can get very heated... misunderstandings!

If u wan talk in ebonics I kin git a cuuple of my kids frens to hep u owt wid dat. Dig? [​IMG]

5. Wolfwoman

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Laree, you see, even you TRYING to have bad english still came across quite well.... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  6. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    actually that was the hillbilly in me jumping to the forefront of my cerebral cortex.

7. Wolfwoman

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Ah I see, I'll get my hubby then [​IMG]

8. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Quote:I will try to use more adverbs next time. Nothing makes a subject disapear faster than a truck-load of "ly"s.

9. girlychick

girlychick Chillin' With My Peeps

I think this is because I don't really think people come on the internet to be all official with there grammar but to have fun. The writing you can't read's probably text talk and there are some people that like to have there thread grammar perfect(I try to but I forget alot.) I think if people want to use text talk they should be able to. Also lots of teens and kids(like me) are on the internet and don't really worry about it.

10. Wolfwoman

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Quote:I will try to use more adverbs next time. Nothing makes a subject disapear faster than a truck-load of "ly"s.

I can't wait!! [​IMG]

I guess I don't like people to think I'm completely ignorant across the keyboard (In person is another thing). It's one thing for the grammar and punctuation, but I know that most computers will underling a misspelled word in red....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by