1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you sell a rooster or give it away?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Willow's Meadow, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    I need to sell/give my rooster away so I put him on craigslist along with some of my pullets. Everyone emails me saying they want the pullets but noooo rooster? How can I give him away or get rid of him? What are my other options? I don't really want to cull him....he is very sweet but I just can't keep him. I have never culled a chicken before so I don't know how to do it. [​IMG]

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Advertise him by himself, or sell him as a pair with one of the pullets. Take a cute pic of him, cuter the better, say like with a bandanna around his neck etc..... Also some feed stores let you sell them on consignment.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  3. ajablu

ajablu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northeast, PA
    I think roosters are really hard to place. I have been trying to give mine away for free for about 6 months on Craigslist. I tried at first to get 2.00 for the purebreds but found even free there were no takers. I gave up there.
    I could not even give away some beautiful little 4 month old banty roosters that have been vaccinated . There were beautiful little Cochins, frizzles and Mille Fluer D'Uccles. I also had some Silkies and Orp Roosters and no takers. It seems in my area they are hard to place even the friendly ones. I guess everyone has enough roosters here. Do you have one of those low cost ad magazines in your area? I had some luck with one here. Also some newspapers will let you place a free ad for things you are giving away.
    There is a farming area about 12 miles from us and I put a free ad in their paper and had some luck. Hope you can find him a home.
    I have never culled a bird either.

4. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    craigslist!! its great

5. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Look for local trader paper's or for sale paper's in your area.We have a couple of good one's in our area with free to place an ad.Add your email or a secondary junk email you might use and add a photo of the bird if you can.I have placed MANY extra roo's over the year's.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    When I had three extra roosters to give away back in 2007 I put posters up at our local post office, library branch, convenience store window. I also told everyone I met, right down to the cashiers at walmart, that I had some free cockerels.
    All three boys went to a pet home, to an older couple that had 80 hens but not a single rooster. Turns out my DH knew the couple from his childhood, so I know the roos got a good home.
    Around these parts, there's alot of commercial chicken houses so backyard chickens are hard to place, but not impossible as I found out. Some of the older folks that had retired from the commercial houses just like having a rooster around; sorta a lawn ornament.

7. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

We have Chicken Swaps in Nh and I jus brought two roos, one sweet and one not so much. Withing 35 minutes I had them both sold. Only $5 each but they went to pet homes not the kettle. I personally would have given them away but it worked out better knowing they were not going to the pot after the TLC I gave to them [​IMG]

8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Well, I think the first thing is to distance yourself from the bird right now. Not every rooster gets a "home". Most of them get a, well, purgatory if you will. Then they go in the soup bowl.

Second, I'd put him as a pair with one of your pullets. Take down your pullet ads. Or, do a "free rooster" ad.

9. Equus5O

Equus5O Chillin' With My Peeps

I made posters of my roosters and put them up in A&P. I sold all three of them.

10. ajablu

ajablu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northeast, PA
    I wanted to add that if there is a TSC or feed store near you my friend had luck posting an ad with a photo there.
    I am going to try that myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by