how do you sell your eating eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by davekrista, Nov 30, 2010.

1. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    I am thinking about selling our farm fresh eggs, but not sure how to go about it. I have put an ad on craigslist and got no response. We are going to put up a sign maybe this weekend out front, but how do you guys get your "customers" that buy your eggs? We give them to family and friends but I don't feel comfortable charging them for it. I really would like to start selling them because now all 10 of our hens are laying and we have more eggs than we can use and I would like something to help with feed costs.

What are some ways to you use to get the word out?

2. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    i had the same problem.....i even had family taking the eggs just to throw them away because they were ameraucana eggs and were blue!!!
    I have found no one cares about their food around me.

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I sell mine to people I work with. They would buy more but right now I have only 9 laying come spring I will have over 20 laying so I will have enough for everyone. I have one guy and one lady that buy 4 dozen a week each.

4. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    In the summer i have placed cartons of eggs in a cooler at the end of the driveway leaning the " eggs for sale and the price per doz" signs on both sides of the cooler ...also place a little container with 4 quarters inside in the cooler ....
    now that the girls have slowed down i have removed the signs and sell them to neighbours that come to the door ...

I also "give" them to family and friends and my elderly neighbours ...

5. kbu

kbu Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2010
    we sell by word of mouth to/ from work friends and put a nice sign out front at the mail box. it takes a little bit for people to stop and get them, but once they do they are usually hooked on the freshness of the farm eggs. (had a guy when we started stopped 3 times in 1 month and got a totall of 6 doz!! he said we needed more chickens--i have 15 lol) we ended up with a number of regulars at work that keep ours fairly well used up (even have a waiting list some times!!)
    good luck!

(ps...i e mailed and checked with the state to make sure it was ok to sell from home and i was legal.) [​IMG]

6. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    My hens cant keep up with the request for eggs from my husbands work! And I would sell to family as well...I dont see them raising cows and giving me half so fair is fair!

7. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

My one neighbor takes everything that I have. lol.
    She then shares or resells to her church family...she is my egg broker. [​IMG]

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I started off by word of mouth. I have posted on craigslist as well. I meet a lot of people when I'm out and about and many times, the conversation comes up and I tell them that I sell eggs. We exchange numbers and then they become customers. I live in the country, so people pass by my house and see that I have chickens and they stop and ask me if I sell eggs. I have gotten several customers that way as well.

I have one customer that takes orders from her friends and family members and she emails me and lets me know what the order is for the week. This week the order is for 10 dozen. I do not have 10 dozen at the time because I was hit hard during the holidays. I was sold out. So, when I get 10 dozen, I will deliver them to her.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  9. dreamcatcherarabians

dreamcatcherarabians Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Stillwater
    Right now I only have one 'paying' customer, but he is old faithful. He and his wife take 2 doz/week just for themselves and anytime there's a family gathering or holiday they want 4 doz more. He's keeping me in egg money so far [​IMG] Come summer I'll put a sign on the fence and we'll see if business picks up. If not, well, between the cow in the freezer, the eggs and probably a bird or 2 that end up in freezer camp, we'll do ok.

10. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    I decided to try and sell my eggs too. I have placed an ad in our Farmer's Market Bulletin for 3.00 per dozen. I plan to put a sign up under our farm sign. and just start telling people. we have a local dairy that sells fresh milk. I hope they will let me post a sign at their place. I have asked them if I could put the eggs there, but they are not sure they can do that. she really doesn't want to take the time, but I think sign will be okay. I also plan to send out a post card to get the word out. I have been giving away eggs, cooking eggs for the chickens, and just feel like I am missing out on a small opportunity to get some of my feed cost back.

Good luck with your adventure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by