1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you separate your breeds?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by roamingchick, Feb 6, 2016.

1. roamingchick

roamingchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2014
    Steuben County NY
    I want to hatch but my flock is all together they free range during day and at night share a house where I lock them in for their own protection. My question is about hatching chicks I don't want mixed chicks I know that I want to separate breeds for two weeks before collecting eggs for hatching but short of building a new housing unit I am not sure where or how to separate, anyone else have suggestions?

2. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    2 weeks isn't long enough to assure no mixed chicks, you need at least 30 days and 6 weeks would be even safer. no choice but to provide separate breeding pens, or at least remove all roosters except the desired sire and then just incubate eggs form same breed of hens.

3. roamingchick

May 15, 2014
    Steuben County NY
    30 days really?

4. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    I've heard that at 3 weeks you still have a chance of chicks from the old rooster, so at least 4 weeks is best if you want to be sure. You can always separate your girls out first, and then put your rooster in with them for "dates"

5. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    a hen can continue producing fertile eggs for 4-6 weeks after being removed from a rooster.

6. roamingchick

May 15, 2014
    Steuben County NY
    Thank you learning something new everyday!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by