How do you sex 5 wk old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by daze333, Feb 17, 2009.

1. daze333

daze333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    Hi all,
    I have 24 5 week old chicks. I hatched them and so have a 50/50 chance for roos. I have noticed several having more aggressive behavior and doing the rooster dance. Where they stick out their chests and challenge each other. I have even seen them biting the others eyelids! OW! These more agressive ones also happen to have larger combs. I am guessing they are roos.
    I have pheonixes, andalusions, a cornish and whyandottes.

I would like to get rid most of the roos asap. Do you have any tips on sexing? I also see some of the ones I think are hens have been challenging each other too, but not nearly so agressively. Which are which?

Thanks!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Here's the method I used with 100% accuracy:

According to UC Davis Veterinary Care Program.
    2. Physical Characteristics (4-6 weeks of age)
    a. Comb – The cockerels comb is medium size and pinkish, the pullets is small and yellowish.
    b. Legs – The cockerel’s legs are sturdy and long, the pullets are finer and shorter.
    c. Tail – The cockerel’s tail is stumpy and curved, the pullets is longer and straight.
    d. Back – The cockerel has a thin line of stub feathers down the center of his back, the pullet has more advanced feathering along the center of her back.
    e. Side of neck, flank and crop – The feathering in the cockerel in these areas is poorly advanced, the pullets feathering in these areas is well advanced.
    f. Wing bows – In the cockerel the wing bows are bare, in pullets the wing bows are covered with small feathers.

Good luck!

3. daze333

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    Thank you for this checklist. But isn't it a little different with each breed? Like the Wyandottes, they have rose combs are are very pink. Do you use the majority of the items on the list?

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I added all the things together.
    The ones with the biggest combs AND the bare wing bows AND the thicker legs and so on....turned out to be my roos. So yes, you look at the majority of things.

5. daze333

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    Ok, don't like sounding dumb here, but what is a wing bow? I tried looking up diagrams and couldn't find it.

6. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Quote:I was just going to ask the same thing. I'm with you. Hatched 37 chicks and want to know the sexes.
    Gritsar, thank you for the helpful information. My chicks are only 3 days old and I see some feathering coming in on the wings but what part is the bow?
    Thanks again

7. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the list! I'm going to look at all my 4-week old chicks a little more closely with these things in mine. I had noticed my BR Packing Peanuts were getting pinkish combs...but also one of my RIR "pullets" seems to have a pinkish comb and bigger legs...hmmmmm. My 2 BO's look different from each other too...I sure hope I don't have too many roos, especially since I didn't order any!

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know exactly what Wing Bows are...

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Look at your chicks from above.
    The rounded part at the top of the wing (when the chick has the wing held close to the body) is the wing bow, i.e., the "shoulders".

9. daze333

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
  10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep, that's it.
    Here's a pic of Thor when he was a few weeks old:

[​IMG]

See how bare he is in that area? (Forgive me Thor)

And yes, they all go thru the ugly stage! Thor is the most beautiful roo in the world now, but hey! I'm partial. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by