how do you sex a chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Coock-Ol-Doodle-Doo, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Coock-Ol-Doodle-Doo

Coock-Ol-Doodle-Doo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2007
    Florida
    hi

i was wondering how do you sex a chick.
    i think it has to do with the feathers.

thank you:jumpy

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The average person cannot sex a chick until it grows out or they breed for things like feather sexing. Most people don't. Hatcheries sex chicks by looking in the vent to determine gender. Even those are not 100% accurate. Feather sexing by hatcheries is possible because they breed fast feathering hens to a slow feathering roo or vice versa. If you don't breed this way, the feather sexing does not work.

I can usually tell the sex on most breed by 4-5 weeks old, altho some breeds take much longer.

Jody

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    There are a few breeds that you can sex by collor or patterns Sex links being one of them because thats how they were bred. Another one is speckledhens fave. Barred rocks. it works 90% of the time she says. I am going to put her to the test once I get some chicks [​IMG]

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Good point Steve..I didn't think to mention the sex-link birds and Barred Rocks (with the white head spots). Those are easier to sex as chicks.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by