How do you SEX a pigeon?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by missred871, May 27, 2011.

1. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    So I am going to a friends farm (Linda Zeagler) to pick up some mandarins and talked her out of a few of her fantails. However, I am not too experienced in the pigeon department and neither is Linda. So I looked it up via Bing. I found several wive's tale versions and a couple that I know to be fairly true like their stance but hers kind of come and go as they please and I probably wont exactly have time or a really good look at them relaxed. So what are some definative sexing techniques I could use?
  2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    observation is the best route....I like to find a will be the one on top during mating then put him in a cage. throw anothe bird in there....if they square off and fight usually two males if the new bird is driven around usually a hen...
  3. missred871

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    Quote:is this the only way? I dont know that I will have the time to figure it out this way, hmmm..... also would the males square off if they are living together? How often do they mate? I mean I am not gonna have to camp out to find a male am I?
  4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    you could always go with the nail on a sting method....lots of folks swear by it...most I know are fairly about 50% accuracy

I went through some birds a few days ago...probably like 25 or so...took about an hour and a half...but I already had some birds identified

they are fairly active this time of year

yes I did it with birds that have been put them in close proximity and cramp their style things happen
  5. Hoss1975

Hoss1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    north central Indiana
    You can tell by the vent bones,feel the vents,a female's vent bones will be wider(farther apart) than a males.It's not 100% but it's usually pretty accurate.
  6. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    I bought one of those sex indicators from foys. It's pretty accurate. More than 50% LOL
    Last edited: May 27, 2011
  7. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    i always watch the way they interact with each other... like they said, two males will fight or at least start quacking at one another... males do an entire 360° turn sweeping their tails on the floor... if a hen decides to quack, she will only do half a turn or so... but i also vent sex just to be sure... [​IMG]
  8. Towman72gmc

Towman72gmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Infant nasal spectulem(?spelling). Insert in vent and look at the reproductive organs. Works 100% on adult birds.
  9. missred871

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    so Towman where can I find this speculum? lol I know how to vent sex other birds but can you vent sex a pigeon the same way?
  10. sport14692

sport14692 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Carencro, La
    Quote:What the heck is this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by