1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how do you sex EE chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GinaNew York, Mar 31, 2017.

1. GinaNew York

GinaNew York Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    New York/CT
    [​IMG]
    since last week we have green legs - they look just like this color - the family is in love with these babies and just loving having them around - how do you sex them? What's amazing is how much one week changed them from having a few wing feathers to this in six days and green legs ;-)

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Did you hatch them yourselves or purchase them? If the latter, were they "straight run" or sexed pullets?
    Easter Eggers are one of those that have no hard and fast rules because they don't have one standard breed appearance - while the pea comb is very common, there are EE that have single combs, etc. For those with pea combs, the first thing I look at is the number of rows that start to show through -- a bird showing three distinct rows of peas is a cockerel, those showing a single row are pullets....this is generally one of the first clues with EE as it starts to show in the first couple of weeks. As they feather in there are some patterns that are generally pullet/cockerel related, so that is the next clue I use in sexing my EE. I generally have a pretty good idea by 4 weeks with them.

1 person likes this.
  3. GinaNew York

May 22, 2012
    New York/CT
    You
    Thank you. They are from always who say the are seed. We are just enjoying their personalities and flock interaction. No sign of multiple rows on the comb.

4. GinaNew York

May 22, 2012
    New York/CT
    Meant Agway

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    In hatchery EE's, typically the males will have 3 rows in the comb while the girls will have a main row in the middle with 2 very small rows on the outside. Males will develop redder fleshier combs much earlier. Most pea comb pullets have small, yellow combs until just before point of lay.

Usually, pullets have very even patterns while males look more like patchwork quilts. Red bars on wings indicate male.

Black and white is often a male color (but not always) while wild partridge with gold hackles is almost always a female pattern.

Girls usually feather in faster while the males take longer...usually.

But these are not hard and fast rules, just guidelines.

Obviously if you hear crowing or see saddle feathers and sickles in the tail, you've got a roo.

LofMc

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

7. GinaNew York

May 22, 2012
    New York/CT
    You are teaching me so much. I never thought to ask when the combs turn red.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by