How do you sex geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Moochie, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    In an ad I saw someone is selling geese 20 bucks each, about 3 or 4 months old. I called up and they do not know the breed or gender. They said that to sex a goose you have to get DNA testing. They haven't done it because it's pricey. WHAT.
    WHAT?
    WHAT! [​IMG]
    I don't wanna get geese for 20 dollars each or pay a bunch of money for DNA testing!!

2. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    The cheapest way is using a pendulum

some times it works , I have use it with some birds and even with and egg I was incubating and it worked

go to metzer farms

maybe you can find some infor about sexing them

3. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi

Metzer farms do have a video which demonstrates the principles of vent sexing. However i think its best to be shown this procedure before attemting it. maybe there are some experience waterfowl breeders living locally who might help you.

In the UK DNA feather sexing costs about $15 but is 100% accurate.

Pete

4. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Ohh feather sexing and the DNA.. The person on the phone said DNA blood testing. Well thanks and I will check out Metzer Farms!
    So you can't tell the genders on geese like you can on ducks? Hmm.

5. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    vent sex them.[​IMG]

6. Metzer Farms

Metzer Farms Official BYC Sponsor

Oct 11, 2010
    I am not familiar with DNA testing. If anyone knows much about it, please contact me at [email protected]

We always vent sex the birds. Unfortunately, the age you are describing is very difficult with geese. Their sphincter muscles are very strong, making the exposing difficult, and the penis is not much bigger than when it was hatched! Once the hormones kick in (about 5-6 months of age) the penis becomes much, much bigger making it a lot easier. We hope to produce a video on sexing non-dayold geese this fall.

John Metzer

7. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    DNA sexing isn't hard. Take some tissue (blood, muscle, tissuae attached to feathers, etc), extract the DNA, and compare with known male and female individuals of the different species. Check the parrot literature, they do it all the time.

Clint

8. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I never got the geese anyways, the person was asking too much for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by