How do you sex geese?

DB_Tex

Songster
10 Years
Aug 11, 2011
Upshur County, Texas
Are the only methods to determine the gender of geese vent sexing babies or sex linked plumage? or are there any other methods like sexing ducks by quack?

The only sure fire way is vent sexing. In certain african and chinese geese the knob on their beak can be used to determine the sex of the birds. There are usually some behavioral differences but these are not a very accurate way of sexing.

I have found the best method for me is to stand out on my front porch and watch the geese across the street. The one that tries to beat up their peacock is also the one that tries to mount every thing in sight, ducks, chickens, the occasional wild turkey, and the other geese.

'Course that process probably won't work well for you so... I'm thinking vent sexing or paying attention to who is laying the eggs is your best bet.

Yep vent sexing is the only sure fire way I know other than spending the money on DNA testing which some people do with the real expensive geese

Quote:
Some breeds such as Cotton Patch, Pilgrim, West of England, etc., are sex-linked, so you can sex them on sight. Vent sexing must be used for others. Or if your goose lays an egg you will know pretty well it is a female
smile.png

I think you can send blood for DNA testing.

Usually the one sitting on the nest is the goose. But not 100%. Ganders will occasionally take over nest duty. Usually, they would love to take over nest duty, but the geese won't let them.

You won't be able to tell by who is walking around with goslings. Both parents and sometimes every other goose in the flock will be hovering over the goslings tended to their every wish. If you don't know who was sitting on the nest, you won't be able to tell who the mother is. I've seen goslings sheltered from the rain under three different sets of wings. Everybody takes care of the babies.

Back
Top Bottom