How do you sex Norwegian Jearhon Chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chloe+chickens=LOVE, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Chloe+chickens=LOVE

Chloe+chickens=LOVE Songster

Jun 14, 2018
    Next month I am getting a order of Norwegian Jearhon eggs. But my question is how can you tell the males and females apart? Some sites say the females have one dot on their head and he say it the other way around. Thank you in advance.

2. bantamsrmyfav

bantamsrmyfav Free Ranging

It can be confusing because there are dark and light varieties and sometimes people cross the two.

I've read that generally the males have a white patch on their head and the females are darker.

Pretty much like a beige chick and a brown chick

Brahmachicken240 likes this.
  3. Chloe+chickens=LOVE

Chloe+chickens=LOVE Songster

Jun 14, 2018
    Thanks for your info! If it makes it any easier I am getting the dark kind.

bantamsrmyfav likes this.
  4. bantamsrmyfav

bantamsrmyfav Free Ranging

No problem! Yes I think that is the consensus for the dark kind. This is a breeder near me that breeds the dark kind and they posted a picture labeling the male and the female chicks https://www.dcheritagepoultry.com/laying-chickens.html (towards the end of the page)

They both sorta look like they have a white dot but their main colour is distinguishable

5. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    Don't know much about this particular breed, but I wouldn't even bother trying to sex them when their tiny. If you post pics of their combs at 6 weeks, it's pretty easy to tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: