How do you sex Silkie Bantams? (have pictures)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Poliwag, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Poliwag

Poliwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    I have 6 Silkie Bantams I bought and they are all different colours but I noticed one of my chicks has started growing a comb, but it is barely 2 weeks old!

Here are each of the chickens, only 2 wanted to pose for me:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^ This one was a week old when I got it. It's a lot bigger than the others. ^

[​IMG]
    ^ This one was only a few days old when I got it. ^

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^ These 2 didn't want to pose, the one on the left was a few days old when I got it and the other I am pretty sure was only 1 day old ^

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^ This one is around the same age as the first one ^

[​IMG]
    ^ Not certain on this one's age ^

[​IMG]
    ^ This one is one of 2 that look very similiar. Only difference is one has a spot on its head and the other is a bit bigger ^

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

The chick in the 4th, and last pictures have single combs. The first one, I would say rooster.

But you really cant be sure until 6 months of age.

3. Poliwag

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    Quote:Single combs? What does that mean? o.o

4. kobesmom81

kobesmom81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Atwater, CA
    We didn't know until we got eggs or cock a doodle doos. Out of 3 birds we got 2 boys and a girl. But after waiting almost 6 months, it was so exciting to finally know who was what!

5. SundownWaterfowl

Silkies are supposed to have a walnut comb. If they have a single comb you shouldnt use them to breed, unless they are just for pets. It is a disqualification to have a single comb.

6. Poliwag

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia

Silkies are supposed to have a walnut comb. If they have a single comb you shouldnt use them to breed, unless they are just for pets. It is a disqualification to have a single comb.

Interesting o.o
    The only reason I am asking this is that I am only allowed 6 "hens" where I live. No one's allowed to have a rooster =x

7. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:Silkies are supposed to have a walnut comb. If they have a single comb you shouldnt use them to breed, unless they are just for pets. It is a disqualification to have a single comb.

Interesting o.o
    The only reason I am asking this is that I am only allowed 6 "hens" where I live. No one's allowed to have a rooster =x

Usually silkies with single combs turn out to be hens, but there are exceptions. I would bet that the first silkie is a rooster.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  8. Poliwag

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    Quote:Interesting o.o

Usually silkies with single combs turn out to be hens. I would bet that the first silkie is a rooster.

Yeah, I had a feeling it might be [​IMG]

9. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    one of those light coloured chicks is normal feathered, not silkie...

10. ThornyRidge

ThornyRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Don't want to rain on a parade but I have a silkie with a single comb that is a rooster.. it happens!!! To me it looked like a couple might have single combs.. silkies are harder to sex until they are old or start crowing.. hope things work out that you can keep them all.. my silkie roosters don't crow hardly at all if it is any consolation.. in fact I got two that don't even crow at all..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by