How do you shingle?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Zahboo, May 7, 2009.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I'm dumb when it comes to this. I know the basics, the felt and the nails, but how do you do the top? I'm redoing a dog house/chicken coop that has a rotted roof. How do you do the thing at the top of the peak?

2. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

It all depends on what the top of your roof looks like. My coop has a slanted roof that just ends at the top and I shingled up to that, then added a metal drip edge. After it stops raining I will eventually add one more row of shingles (using roofing tar) to cover the exposed part of the metal drip edge.
    On my kids play house, I have a more traditional roof with a peak and the front and back sloping down from there. With this type of roof, I ran the shingles up to the top on both sides and then added on row across the center of the roof (the peak), overlapping both sides. I secured this cap with roofing tar. I hope you can get the visual, if not let me know and I can send you some pics of what I have done.
    Hope that helps.
    [​IMG]

3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Quote:Sorry, I'm visual, so if you don't mind...[​IMG]

4. lunkerchicken

It's pouring out right now, so tomorrow when the sun finally breaks through (after about a week), I will snap some photos and send them to you - sound good?? I feel like Noah's Ark is going to float by any moment... I need to paint the outside of the coop, it needs to stop raining!!!

5. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Same here. I have to paint it and shingle it. Then add door, window, it has ventilation already so yay. It is a decent little house, and we already had it [​IMG]

6. lunkerchicken

Do you have any pics?

7. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I will get some tomorrow. I'm at dads right now and coop is at moms. I forgot to get before photos [​IMG] I do plan to get lots of pictures. I think I'm going to paint the siding white and the trim and accents green. [​IMG]

8. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Here is a picture to give idea of coop. This is before I shredded the roof. I can't think of exact measurements. I think 3x4 though. It's really nice in my opinion just needs fixing up. I am replacing some of the siding pieces to make it look better.
    [​IMG]
    Edit to add it's the one in the top left corner.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  9. mygor

mygor Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    Mount Perry , Ohio
  10. lunkerchicken

The coop looks like it is in good shape - shouldn't need to much work at all. What is the frame in front of the coop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by