how do you ship adult birds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by nettie, Mar 5, 2009.

1. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i may be selling two of my birds, and might have to ship them. I've found some sites, but i am concerned about what they'd eat/drink along the way. Is shipping ducks the same as chickens?

2. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Just make sure they eat and drink before you put them in the box and throw some fruit in there for them

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Isn't there some gel stuff you can use too?

4. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Well it depends on how far they have to travel. If it's only a few hours they should be fine with food before the journey and some in their box. I'm not sure for water, it would spill.
    And if it's more than a day I wonder how they will lay their eggs..............

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

First you'll have to get an approved shipping box made by Horizon Micro Environments. The post office wont accept them any other way.

Second, make sure they eat and drink the day before shipping.

Third, on the day of shipping, take them to the post office as late as possible. If you bring them in the morning, chances are they will sit in the box at the post office unti the last run of the day when "overnight" mail is brought to the airport.

Fourth, when you put them into the shipping boxes put some cut up fruit in there with them. Apple slices are good. The fruit will supply them with nutrition, as well as keep them hydrated.

And finally, most birds are shipped priority, and rarely have longer than a 1 day trip. I would suspect the only trips that are longer are the ones from Washington to Florida, or Maine to California. I recently had birds shipped to me from New York, and it took them less than 18 hours to get to Texas.

If you are concerned with them laying eggs, you can line the bottom of the box with some fresh clean shavings. Chances are though that they wont lay during shipping, the stress from shipping will prevent it.

6. cochin44

cochin44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    St. Amant, LA
    How much does shipping usually cost for this sort of thing?

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Ranges from thirty dollars locally in state and 55 to 60 dollars elsewhere out of state.

I shipped a few times and never put water in the box. Use grapes, apples, it works for me and they dont spoil as fast as melons...they are BAD to use and smelled BAD after two to three days of shipping from FL to Illinois.

Good luck!

8. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

It's also determined by the number of birds you ship, and their weight. I just had three hens shipped in from New York, and it was 65+ bucks. Meanwhile, I'm getting ready to have one shipped from Missouri, and its only going to be around 35.

9. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    I would call your post office and see when their trucks leave. Ours has two trucks a day. If we get them on the first truck the birds usually make it to their new home overnight. If we make it on the 2nd truck sometimes it takes 2 days.

Only the chick boxes can be sent priority, everything else must be shipped express mail. Priority mail has no guarantee for shipping and you want the birds to make it there as soon as they can.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Agree, please use Express mail. Don't be cheap and ensure you have tracking and a guaranteed delivery time from the PO. Our Express truck picks up late and they go right to the airport to fly out. Definitely verify when your Express truck picks up and be there a half hour early to check your birds in.

One last thought (after seeing some recent photos posted on here) - please don't overstuff your birds in the box. Make sure they have some room to lay down comfortably. They shouldn't be able to move around a lot, but you don't want them standing on top of each other either. The boxes do not leave a lot of ventilation, so they will heat up in there if overcrowded. Best wishes for a safe shipment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by