1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you ship eggs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Alleyoops25, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    I have a Aunt that is wanting to incubat eggs. I have two dozen to send to her. How do I ship them so that they will be both whole, and still good for hatching? If i use a bunch of foam and bubble wrap, wont it ruin the eggs?I know a lot of you have either recieved, or shipped eggs, and i would be greatful for any assistance. Thanks

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Here is an entire thread that has links about packing eggs for shipping.
    http://p098.ezboard.com/Packing-egg...dchickensfrm17.showMessage?topicID=4871.topic

I roll each one in heavy duty bubblewrap, then use masking tape on each end, then wrap again with same bubblewrap. I line the box with the bubblewrap, sometimes put egg cartons or pieces of them on the bottom and sides, use quilt batting to line the box in cold weather as well, then place egg, aircell up, in box side by side. I fill in all spaces with extra bubblewrap pieces then top it off with more bubblewrap and shredded paper. Takes quite a while to do a dozen eggs or more. You'll have to ask my customers how they like my packing method since they're on the receiving end.
    ****this is bubblewrap that leather couches are wrapped in, not the flimsy stuff.

3. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Thank you so much for your response, I got the eggs wrapped and sent yesterday. Hopefully she will have them by christmas. And I will have to let you know if they made it there in one piece or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by