How do you show your chickens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NC29mom, Jul 13, 2010.

1. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    I have a question, How do you get started showing your chickens? Like at the State Fair? Or possibly somewhere else? We are new to chickens (<1yr), but have fallen IN LOVE with our birds. I recently ordered 15 golden laced sebrights and 10 japanese white black tailed bantams (already have 2 roosters) and I am really interested in showing them. My daughter, 9 yr old, is also wanting to start spreading the love. I am sure there is a lot to learn regarding restrictions and regulations and such.

Anybody know? I live in Eastern NC.

Thanks in advance.....

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    contact your local extension office and ask about 4-H many counties have a poultry program. I would recommend either attending a show first or entering the county fair. you can post pics of your birds here and people can give you an Idea on the quality of them. there is a book called the standard of perfection that gives the "blueprints" for each breed for example the tail should be held a 45 degree angle. good luck

3. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
  4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Here's how I show my chickens...... I take people to the barn & point, "look at my chickens". There, I showed them. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't resist. [​IMG]

5. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    WOW thanks for the information, I have had a hard time trying to find stuff on my own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by