How do you solve pecking in the butt/tail problems?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lalyswishytail, Dec 27, 2009.

1. lalyswishytail

lalyswishytail Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2009
    Chicago area
    I have a SLW that is getting beat up by her four sisters, (2 RIR, 1 ISA brown, 1 GLW). The four are plucking out the one's tail feathers and there are traces of blood. I took my sad little chicken inside to save her from the pain, but I don't want to keep her here forever. How do I fix this problem?

2. buddy#2

buddy#2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2009
    Perry County, PA
    If she is bleeding the others will go after the blood(red). This is a problem I had with some roosters. I separated the roo being picked on to let him regrow just as you are doing. There is anti pecking spray that may work. It is a habit that can be broke but may take some time. Hope everything goes well

3. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    I have used blue kote spray on. It really helps. Not only heal, but the chickens and even with quail will leave it alone.

4. lalyswishytail

lalyswishytail Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2009
    Chicago area
    How long should I keep the plucked chicken separated from the others? I'm getting tired of picking up the poop!

5. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Quote:This is what I use. I spray it on the injured/plucked/picked area as well as a little surrounding the area. I then put them back with their siblings. One taste of that stuff and the others will leave the injured one alone. Apply as often as necessary to keep the affected area covered.

6. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Quote:This is what I use. I spray it on the injured/plucked/picked area as well as a little surrounding the area. I then put them back with their siblings. One taste of that stuff and the others will leave the injured one alone. Apply as often as necessary to keep the affected area covered.

Yes, keep it applied for a while....at least until healed enough the behavior stops. And like Chook I put the affected bird back into the flock. It is nasty tasting so the area is left alone.

7. backyard clucker

backyard clucker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    Auburn, IN
    where do you get it at?

8. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Quote:I get mine from Tractor Supply Co. or Ace Hardware. Most any farm supply store should have it.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  9. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    There is also a cream called STOP-PICK that's made specially for poultry and to stop pecking and cannibalism. I've gotten that and the blue kote at a drug store or a farm supply store.

10. ugly ducky

ugly ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    S.E. MO
    If you don't have Blue Kote, I've used Vicks with great success. Just smear it on the picked area and surrounding feathers. It also helps them heal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by