How do you start selling eggs in Illinois?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by lalyswishytail, Jan 15, 2009.

1. lalyswishytail

lalyswishytail Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2009
    Chicago area
    I live in the Chicago area and would like to start selling eggs from a local farmstand. Does anyone know how to get a license or a list of regulations to follow? Thanks!

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

ok... I've got a starting place, but it's very confusing. I'm looking cause I love digging out this sort of thing, but if you want to start poking through it too, here you go.

http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/008/00800065sections.html

IF and I say IF you need a licence, since I'm guessing you have under 3,000 birds, it is a 'limited' license and only costs $15.oo a year. BUT so far, I 'THINK' and that's an early and uneducated think, that if you sell from the premises where the hens are located, you don't even need that... BUT I'm still poking around.

I tell you, criticize Ohio all you want, but their law is VERY clear, home stands are exempt from all that jaz!!

anyway, like I said, I'm lookin'

3. PortageGirl

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  4. PortageGirl

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  5. lalyswishytail

lalyswishytail Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2009
    Chicago area
    Wow! You are great! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I've been getting the run around with phone numbers in the Illinois Department of Agriculture and I was terrified to even begin checking out the puzzle palace that would be their web site. Thanks again!

6. PortageGirl

Well, I'm NOT a lawyer, and I'm not in charge of ANYTHING, possibly it'd be a good idea print out all that, and have them on hand, and/or, call around some more confirming.

[edit] and you're very welcome. I like digging up data, it's one of the things I'm pretty good at. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  7. windycityhen

windycityhen New Egg

Apr 21, 2012
  8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Thanks!

9. Pixie

Pixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008