1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how do you sterilize a used coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by naakte, Sep 12, 2011.

1. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    I bought this mini coop to keep a few of my seramas in. The girl said it housed a rabbit before. what is the very best thing to clean it so it wont make my babies sick

[​IMG]

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I use a ten percent bleach solution and spray it on. I have heard Oxine is the best , but I don't know where to get it. Nice little coop:)

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:x2

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I use oxine ah. [​IMG]

5. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    Thankyou for the replies, I have never heard of oxine, where do you buy it at and is it safe to use on wood?

6. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    I use oxine on everything... I don't leave it in galvanized waterers, I don't know if it will react. Anybody know? I don't use those much anyway I have a nipple water system so they are just a back up waterer anyway. I spray the coops, the runs, the birds if they get in the way, put it in the water it is very safe.

BTW you will probably have to order it, I have not found it locally.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Oxine kills bacteria, viral and fungal germs. It works 200x's better then bleach and it is very safe as long as you do not activate with citric acid crystals. We even use a little in our plastic waterer. I spray to disinfect the wood roosts, walls, nest boxes and the chickens themselves weekly. I bought it online. I don't remember the website, but shipping was $6.99. Oxine is very concentrated, so the gallon goes a long way. Unless your like me and accidentally spill it. Oxine is also FDA and USDA approved. Another awesome chicken must have product!

8. Tab003

Tab003 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    We use Vanodine to clean items for all of our animals.

9. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    When I bought a new coop, I quarantined it for a month, then caulked all the crevices and painted the interior with 2 coats of pain.

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Agreed, Oxine or Bleach spray.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by