How do you sterilize after you goat milk? We want to drink it.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickylou, Mar 26, 2009.

1. chickylou

chickylou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Could some of you share your process on how you sterilize?

I don't want to be stubborn or lazy, but it seems that you need all this super high acid stuff and I'm a little nervous having kids around. I went to TSC and they had some diary cleaner and it has the poison signs written on it and warnings that sound mighty scary.

I thought bleach would be enough. Isn't it?

What do you recommend?

Thanks for the help.[​IMG]

2. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I think that some of that is for dairy use. Where they have a lot of goats.
    I use bleach or my dishwasher after rinsing well. Sanitation is important but a little bleach and hot water should work just as well for personal use. It always has for me.

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    My goat breeder friend had her milk tested every month last year by Colorado's Raw Milk Assoc. She used those tests to figure out what was the best way to sterilize her equipment and get the healthiest milk. What she found was that they had far more bacteria in their milk when they hand washed their equipment, even using bleach. They had the least bacteria in their milk when they ran the equipment through the dishwasher!

So, that's what I do and we all drink our milk raw and love it. Simple, easy and very effective.

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't use my dishwasher only because I don't tend to run it twice a day and I need my milking equipment cleaned twice a day. I just wash mine by hand with our regular dish soap in very hot water. I have thought of getting some dairy cleaner to use every once in a while, but I haven't yet.

5. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I have to hand wash mine as I dont have the water pressure for a dishwasher...The dairy cleaner is I think basically for milkstone as it can build up on the stainless steel...its a acid wash that removes it . I have it but havent used it yet as I wash with cool water first to remove the milk then I rewash with hot water and I mean hot. Its the hot water that sets the milk to the stainless, I believe. This is the way I do it and so far so good...just a thought..

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I didn't say it but I do the same as chaty, rinse with cool water first and then wash with really hot.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    We drink ours raw and never had a billy goat around our girls. We take our does to a billy goat to a neighbor waaaaaaaay down the street from us.

With proper sterilization, we put our milking buckets and items in the hottest setting for our dishwasher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by