1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you stop a broody hen from sitting on eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickadee-23, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Chickadee-23

Chickadee-23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    South Carolina
    I have 1 bantam hen thats broody shes a OEG bb red bantam i have 6 all together in the coop they have no rooster with them so the eggs are not fertile which is crazy to begin with i thro them out she will go to a new nest and lay 1 egg and sit on it, i call her crazy bird lol, anyways someone told me to give her plain corn to stop her from laying is this true? I mean we have cold weather normaly my bantams stop laying in November, I have 3 laying and 1 broody lol :)

Thanks-
    Chickadee

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    No, corn won't do anything. The classic method is to put the hen in a wire cage propped up on something so that air flows underneath. Give food and water, of course, but no nesting material at all. Hopefully in about 3 days she will get bvery restless and want to get out and forage, and maybe start laying again. The surest method is to give them a few fertile eggs to hatch; they will stop in 3 weeks when the chicks hatch!

You should know that this is a very broody breed, so she will likely go broody over and over.

Here is a thread about breaking broodies :

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/181289/how-to-break-a-broody-hen/0_20

3. Chickadee-23

Chickadee-23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    South Carolina
    Thanks I will just give her some fertile eggs to hatch i cant put her in a small cage she will freak out idk why she was givin to me so maybe she was kept in a small cage at one point in her life, and i have bonded with her thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by