How do you stop feather pecking?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tomfieldenloveshichickens, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Tomfieldenloveshichickens

Tomfieldenloveshichickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Somerset, England
    Hi,

I have seen 1 of my hens pecking feathers out of two chickens. She is pecking below the vent and bare skin is showing. They have started laying and are RIR's. They are about 35 weeks old and have a coop that is a suitable size and a massive run. I feed them layers pellets and oyster shells and sometimes give them treats. There is a light in the coop that is white. What do i do? Do i put something on their feathers. I would like it to be cheap to do if possible.

Thanks

Tom

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Tom, I use an anti peck spray that I got at a pet store. It`s a little bottle, about 4 oz. and supposedly it tastes like sour apples. It`s clear and doesn`t stain. I still have most of it left and I`ve had it for about 8 years. Works really well. I think it was about $5-7. Spray it on the affected areas while they are roosting. Reduces stress that way. Good luck........Pop

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I'd put some blue kote on the pecked area to hide the wound & change the white light to red. I've been fighting feather pecking for months. I've done it all . Chickens like to be outside not cooped up they get bored. Let them out. I have predators but decided if I don't let them out they would eventually peck each other to death so they are now free rangeing more. Its helped some but they haven't completely stopped pecking. Probably, & I'm totally against doing this to stop the pecking you would need to de- beek them. I had no luck with the peepers but others swear by them. I also have up their protein & added vitamins to their water. Wish, I knew the answer cause its terrible to see a once beautiful bird with a bald butt. I also added a flock block, added raked leaves to their run, hanging cabbage, ACV to their water, & threw some boss on the added leaves for them to scratch around in. Again If you find the answer please let me no. ASAP.

4. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    O almost forgot I sprayed their pecked area with Hot PICK, Rooster Booster . Nothing has helped . I'm still looking for the right answer. It really doesn't make since why they choose this behaviour. I've said it before & I'll say it again if I find the cure I'm gonna write a book on the subject. Good Luck!!!

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have used Rooster Booster Pick no more lotion successfully for BABY chicks- but it stains and looks like molasses.

You can also go with pinless peepers (available at I think jefferslivestock.com and eggcartons.com). You can search on BYC for pics of them if you wish.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Around here they swear by pine tar, sold for horses. I haven't had this problem, but from reading about it, it seems to boil down to lots of space and protein. 7LFarm. I feel for you; I think the bottom line is, it's not a habit that's easily broken.

I'm going to look for that sour apple pet store stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2011
  7. sben451

sben451 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Anniston, AL
    I did have good luck with the pinless peepers from EggCartons.com. I had some Andalusian roos who started picking each others feathers and the peepers stopped the picking for my roos. But they do also need plenty of space and enough protein. The peepers were easy to put on the roos and fell off after several months, but the habit was broken by then.

8. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I saw the pine tar the other day you know I'm gonna try it. ddawn you also know I'm trying everything to help my girls I've had them free ranging every since we discussed it. I really care for my chickens & their well being are I would of never accepted the responsibility of raising them. I'm bound & determined to cease their feather pecking. I contest its a hard habit to break but trust me I will not give up. Again, if I ever win this battle I'm gonna let everyone know. Please let me know about the sour apple as well .Thanks 7L

9. carolineloesch

carolineloesch New Egg

Mar 2, 2016
    I've had the same problem with my girls...poor little things. I read the same thing about the the Blue Kote and the Pine tar. I started using that yesterday and letting them out more also. I truly believe its because they are bored. I will keep you posted on how the 2 ingredients work on my girls.

10. carolineloesch

carolineloesch New Egg

Mar 2, 2016
    Well it's been at least 3 months since I posted that my chickens were removing from each others butts . I have tried blue dye...change of food, supplements, dusting the coop and run and hens, I have enlarged their run so they wouldn't get bored.....some feathers are growing back but still pretty bare. I have 7 new babies that will be joining the bigger hens in a couple of months....I'm scared to death that the big ones will do the same thing to the youngest. So my questions is should I get rid of the bigger ones and start again? So that the big I ones don't teach the little ones this same bad habit? This is crazy...feeling frustrated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by