How do you stop neck plucking?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flowerchicks, Jul 18, 2010.

1. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    I have a RIR hen that is a year old. About 4-5 months ago I started noticing feathers missing around the back and sides of her neck. Since I had seen my silkie roo mount her once, I thought that was what was causing it. His favorite girl is my D'uccle who he "gets with" all day long, but she isn't missing any feathers, so I have ruled him out. I am pretty sure they are being plucked since she has broken feathers on her back, but I don't know if she is doing it or one of the other chickens is doing it when they roost. None of my other hens are missing any feathers, nor do they have any broken feathers, as she does. I would consider her the "second in command" to my barred rock, who is a week younger, but they were raised together. They all get along, and I have never seen any other chickens even attempt to go after her. I have checked her for any signs of mites and/or lice and see nothing but new feather buds coming in. A couple weeks ago it looked like the feathers were all growing back, but now they are all plucked again, and the front of her neck is red. Is there something I can put over her neck to keep her or another hen from plucking her feathers? I saw on another post somebody mentioned "blue coat", what is that? She used to be so pretty, but now she looks so scraggly and sad. Right now I have 9 chickens roosting in an 8x9 ft coop, they free range all day, so I am pretty sure they are not over crowded. They all get Layena (whch I want to change when the bag runs out), they get a little scratch (1/2 scoop in the summer), and there is BOSS all on the ground from the bird feeders. Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. flowerchicks

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    [​IMG] Anybody?

3. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmm--that is a weird one! Blu-coat is a spray or wipe that is blue and is supposed to keep hens from picking at stuff--they really like red; so if you spray this on the area they arent supposed to notice it as much. I dont think that is your problem though if you dont see them picking on her. What about where she roosts? Can she rub her feathers off on a support beam of something? (We have a horse that rubs the bottom off his mane this time of year--rubs it on the shed where they go to get away from the bugs.) Your hen doesnt look sore or anything...maybe some isolation time so they can grow back? Sure doesnt look like an area that she can self-pluck. I am stumped...I hope someone comes in with an idea for you! T

4. flowerchicks

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    This hen roosts with my barred rock and my EE on a long 2x4 that goes across the coop. I have 3 "flocks" in the coop, the other 2 don't roost with these 3. I don't think there is any place in the coop that she could be rubbing on that would pluck her neck feathers. I am guessing either my EE or my BR are doing it when they roost, but why and how do I stop it? That is the million $$ question. [​IMG]

5. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

I guess you could try that blu-cote...might work! It is in a yellow can in the farm section. GOod luck! T

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by