How do you stop quail from wasting so much food????

Discussion in 'Quail' started by pheasantfrenzie, Oct 3, 2011.

1. pheasantfrenzie

pheasantfrenzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Montrose,Co
    Ok so how do you stop your quail from wasting so much food. I have tried different feeders but some how they still manage to have it all over the floor and not in their stomachs??
    Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

the only thing i've had any success with in a cat litter pan...everything else allows feed to be tossed to the ground.....
    there is also a guy on the anyother birds for sale section who sells pvc feeders that everyone seems to swear by

1 person likes this.
  3. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i use the flip open chick feeders, they sometimes get poo in it, but the feed stays in there.
    [​IMG]

just like this one

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  4. pheasantfrenzie

pheasantfrenzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Montrose,Co
    That is the exact feeder that I have used and they still manage to get it out?? I think I have super power quail or something

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:The feeders are from Jimsbirdhouse. Nice feeders!! I keep the waist down by not filling them up to the top.

6. Missi

Missi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    I was just looking at all the wasted feed & sand in the tray on my quail coop last night. The hubby suggest reusing it...LOL Uh, no.

7. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Quote:i agree with mits. on this one. those feeders to me work better than any other ones i'v ever used... i also feed multiple times a day and dont (overfill) those feeders so they can throw the feed out. (they love to toss feed around and do everything from throwing it and dust bathing in it, to eating of course. but it wastes feed when you fill them allll the way so fill half way IMO

8. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
  9. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    I don't have quails but my chickens often spill feed all over too. Got a tip from a farmer and it worked. First, I used pellets. Pellet helps me and the chickens see the feed on the floor. Second, when there is a good amount on the floor, simply remove or do not refill the feeder. The birds will clean up the spillage on the floor.

10. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    Lately, when I pull out he tray to change the paper under the breeder cage, the hens come running and stick their heads out to eat the wasted feed in the tray. [​IMG]
    It's like the wasted feed is tastier than the feed in the dispenser.

I let them at it for a while, then I change the paper and put the tray back quickly. Because if the tray is in front of their faces, it's not under their butts!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by