How do you supplement protein if you feed Purena

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Urbanfarmerkc, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    I was looking at the post about what people feed and there were a lot of comments about using Purena and being afraid that the chickens weren't getting all the protein they need. I use Purena because I don't want the byproducts of the beef hormone, antibiotic sick industry in my chickens. I've also read that some feed companies use the male chicks from the hatchery to add protein to feed. I'm really opposed to this.

So, the question is what are you using to supplement your flock in the winter. I am not worried for summer cause my hens range and get natural protein without my interference. Let me know what you think.

Dave

2. roosters4sale

roosters4sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    Hi. I like to supplement sunflower seeds for protein. (sprinkle in)

3. roosters4sale

roosters4sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    Black oil.

4. Marko

Marko Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2009
    Is that shell on or dehusked???

5. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Black Oil Sunflower seeds (BOSS) or flaxseed, which is higher in protein than BOSS
    Some people feed millet, quinoa or soaked cat crunchies

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I mix my own feed, but for extra protein I include some or all of the following: BOSS, safflower seeds, thistle seeds, peanuts, and pumpkin seeds.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Unless your Purina feed is less than 16% protein you can add all the Black Oil Sunflower Seed (BOSS) you want and it will not raise the protein of you feed.
    Black Oil Sunflower Seed (BOSS) is on the average only around 16% protein its self (I have seen some bags that was as low as 14% protein)

If you want to boost the protein of your feed you could use -

Fish Meal,
    Austrian Peas,
    Maple Peas,
    Vetch Peas,
    Canadian Peas,
    Mug Beans,
    Cat Food,
    Floating Catfish Food.

Chris

8. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    BOSS is still a treat and isn't packed with protein. It has 16% protein, which isn't significant but it is higher than most scratch mixes and cracked corn. I like to give mine cooked ground beef, cooked chicken, (If you can stomach it) plain yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, and other assorted treats. Insects are of course the best high protein treat you can get in such a small package. I breed exotic feeder roaches for my reptiles, but the leftover males make GREAT chicken snacks. I also set up a scrap bucket for black soldier flies, and so far I have a good 15,000 protein packed grubs which do not smell and the chickens love.

9. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    There are split peas in the hen scratch I buy but there is also soy oil [​IMG]

My Vegetarian friends told me this is how they get protein without eating too much soy.
    all approximates

flaxseed 20%
    BOSS ranges up to 24%
    Millet 15%
    Quinoa 12-18%
    Bulger, don't remember
    and amaranth, well, who could afford to fed that to their chickens?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  10. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    Thanks all for the suggestions. What is the overall opinion on a complete vegetarian diet?

Dave

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by