How do you teach chickens to roost in their coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mike Winters, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    i have some 4 week old chicks that i put in a coop at night. I leave them in for a few hours in the morning so they get the hint that the coop is their new home.

so how do i teach then to go in at night because pretty soon they are going to be to big to herd all 6 in a small animal cage and transport them into the coop.

they have the fly out of the coop in the morning when i open the door down pat, now if they could just figure out how to get in the coop for themselves with out me needing to herd them.

2. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    You don't have to teach them, they learn on thier own. let them sleep in there for a couple of nights an they will get the idea.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Lock them in the coop for a few days to a couple weeks. They will learn that the coop is their home.

Imp

4. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    No need to over think it. Their natural tendency is to sleep (roost) at the highest point. Put them into the coop overnight, they will find that spot, sometimes in the rafters or places you do not want them to be.

They will also come into the coop at dusk by themselves. If you need to herd them in during the day, try luring them with treats.

Work with it and everything will fall into place. Work against it and you will be pulling your hair out wondering if your batch is "defective".

5. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    When I moved our chickens to their temporary coop, (we are building a larger one) they were 4 weeks old at the time.

I had put up some roosts for them.... and just last week they all are now using the roosts. they are 7 weeks old.

They were huddling on the floor in the corner before this.

I also had some short branches in their brooder when they were little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by