How do you tell a banty from a standard?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by joletabey, Jan 4, 2010.

1. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    If you can direct me to other threads or posts, great, but I really want to know the difference. I have standard Delawares. There are banty Dels - they are rare, but they are out there. Is it just the weight and relatively small size, or lineage? Two of my Dels are very small compared to the others. If they stay small, and breed on small, do they get to be banties? Or are they just vertically challenged standards?

I am wondering, because I think one is a roo, one a pullet, and I could give them their own little breeding area if they would qualify.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  2. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Good question, depending on the strain of the bird weight can be deceiving. However, it is still how I determine my birds. Also, the bantams are much smaller around 1/3 the size of the regular large fowl, there should also be a vast difference in egg size, most bantams lay very tiny eggs. I think bantams also have a dainty like appearance. The average weight for a Delaware is 6.5 lb, and judging the rarity of the bantam, I would think you have the standard. But if the bird is around 2 lb full grown, and appears healthy I would probably give them their own breeding pen, and play around a little.

Good luck with your birds!

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    A Delaware Bantam Rooster 43 oz. Hen 30 oz.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by