How do you tell a RIR from a NHR?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CCourson05, Apr 13, 2011.

1. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I have a hard time telling...
    [​IMG]

2. Hottchick

Hottchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    I don't know either. I have 2 New Hampshires (at least that's what the breeder told me they were). There's not a whole lot of difference, I don't think. New Hampshires were developed from Rhode Island Reds. I had done some research before I got them but I don't remember a whole lot of it right now.[​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Thank the hatcheries for that. Originally a heritage type is unmistakable with telling the two apart.

In general most New Hampshires, when grow, turn an orange color while Production Reds are more of a reddish orange. Production Reds are also usually less fluffy at the thighs.

Also - It's New Hampshire. No "red" in the name, that's just something hatcheries put in. [​IMG]

4. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    Kathyinmo has the most beautiful heritage New Hampshire's ever. They are on my one day wish list. Have a look see. Notice the coloration in the hackle feathers.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=454471&p=1

Then check out this thread for heritage Rhode Island Red's:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=407294

See how different they are supposed to look? Like Illia said, hatchery's don't breed for standard and you get mixes and yucko. Hard to tell hatchery "breeds" apart sometimes!

HTH!!

5. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I was just trying to make sure everyone knew I was talking about the two reds, and not the RIW. Lol.

But I will post pics of my RIR hens and see what everyone thinks. I have a feeling someone will say production reds, but that is also something I can tell apart... [​IMG]

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    We didn't mention the RIW. [​IMG]

I would call something non-heritage/show quality a Production Red, but that doesn't mean it isn't a Rhode Island Red. [​IMG]

7. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    OH!! So it could still be a RIR just not show quality or heritage. Finally, I understand the difference. Lol. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by