how do you tell a rotten egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kavellion, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Kavellion

Kavellion Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    Drummond, OK
    I have 12 BCM eggs going and I cant see a thing when candling. Well I heard that the bad ones explode. I don't want that of course. So they have 6 days to go should I be smelling a rotten egg smell from the bad ones? Or is it ok to just let them go for 24 days or w/e?

2. patty12

patty12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    I have heard the real dark eggs are hard to tell , maybe a stronger light, some say put them in water if they float they are bad but I wouldn't want to do that it might harm the chicks. I would just cross my fingers and go with them . If you can feel an egg that is very light in weight compared to the others it might be bad.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Smell the vents every day if it smells bad then smell all the eggs. If a egg goes bad you will have no question, you will know. They reek for at least 24 hours before you have to worry about anything bad happening.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Follow your nose! If one starts going bad you'll smell a horrible stench. I sniff test mine when I candle on Days 10 and 18, and every day I shine a flashlight through the viewing window and check for any oozing from the shells.

If you do have to remove one I recommend a small zip type plastic bag, inside out, over your hand. Pick up the stinker gently, turn the bag over it and seal it.

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Thats a good idea. The only one I have ever had go boom was when I was not around the house enough to catch it in time an I had carried to threw the house to throw it out an it went boom in my hand all over me an the kitchen. [​IMG] If you check every day you will not have that happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by